announcements

ANNOUNCEMENTS
Old announcements are archived at the bottom of this page.
- Mike

Apr 12, 2012

Sing loudly and badly

Here is the quote I read you guys after making you sing in class.

It comes from Visual Poetry by Chris Orwig.

"When we younger out imaginations were limitless and unfettered by practicality and qualifications. Once when I visited my wife at the local elementary school where she teaches, I asked her class, "How many of you can draw?" The entire class raised their hands. Then I asked, "How many of you can sing?" Jubilantly the entire class raised their hands and they all began to sing different songs. It was a chaotic and wonderful sound.
     When I am teaching, I ask my college-age students the same questions. In each class, sadly only a couple brave people raise their hands. You see, the students have added a self-imposing qualifier to the question. While I asked, "How many of you can sing?" they heard, "How many of you can sing well?" Picasso said it: all children are artists. The problem is to remain one when you grow up."

Thanks for the cacophony. Please go sing loudly and badly in your photos this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment